Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where were you that day

Every body was somewhere, all right. I remember that morning like I remember this morning..In fact no, I don't remember what I did this morning. I digress.
I woke up and walked straight to my computer, I refreshed the Yahoo finance pages to monitor my financial downfall, and moved to Rediff. It said "World Trade Center attacked". No linky, just a blurb. You got to be kidding, right. I switch on CNN, and being in California, three hours into the attack already, I watched the first tower collapse ALL the way. My God, NO. I am yelling out to my wife, look, they have bombed the World Trade Center. What?! Impossible.
Oh my God, there must be a few hundred thousand people working in those two towers all right. How could they kill so many people? It's such a wonderful piece of architecture, how can they just bump a plane into it?
Watching so many people throw themselves from the towers to escape the wrath of the blaze, objects falling from the plane as it made an impact into the tower, they are still sick memories that wouldn't leave me for the rest of my life.

It was personal for me. I had been there,earlier, showing my parents around. We had shopped around in the basement, ridden the subway PATH to New Jersey from there. And this wasn't the first time. We'd visited the place way back in 98, and I still remember the awesome Pizza we had eaten in a joint down below the WTC. The sneaky Italian who had sold us two large gourmet pizzas for an amount that he had pocketed. I don't know if they all survived.

I remember calling NPR talk of the nation the next day.. My only angst was, was destruction the only thing these people knew?! They have never known innovation, they have never known enterprise, but all they know is the sword, and now bombs!

My second kid was only 11 days into the world, and we were living in seventh heaven, until these bastards crashed it with planes. I think the mood that permeated since those times has lasted in this country, thanks to the 8 years of misrule by the Bush coterie. It hasn't left our lives. Eroded every bit of the oomph and joy that lasted the last five years of the 90s, the dot com boom, the Gold rush, Nasdaq 5000.. Everything, down the drain.

Rudy Guliani has nothing to speak of but 9/11, ever since his Presidential campaign. No, I corect myself, he used the same scare tactics during the Republican Convention 2004. I used to think highly of this scum, in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. He's only a merchant of death, trying to profit from terror.

Sincerely hope the Republican pigs are thrown out in this election, for a good 50 years. I really hope so.

No comments: